Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lesson learned

My last night in Ethiopia, in the capital city of Addis Ababa, I stayed at a fairly expensive hotel, but I was guaranteed electricity, warm water, and the internet, all things that were far from guaranteed everywhere else I had been. It was nice to just relax for a bit.

After a nice long hot shower, I decided to try and find something interesting to do. I walked out of the hotel to find someplace to have dinner. Not far from the hotel, a guy started chatting with me. He told me he worked at the hotel in the laundry department, and that he was on his way to a party. It was a holiday that day aparently, and college had just let out, so some friends were getting together. I decided to be adventurous. We got in a cab and drove to a house not far from there.

Inside, there was already lots of people there. They were all women. Beautiful women. All of them. I thought it a little strange that there were no other men there beside my friend, and me, a foreigner. They offered me a drink. The women were very friendly, saying things like "I like you," and "you're cute." My new friend told me I could have any of them that I wanted. Hmm... so this was a prostitution house I finally realized.

No matter. I said, "I have a girlfriend, and I don't cheat."

He replied, "what happens in Ethiopia stays in Ethiopia."

"Sorry. I'm not interested," I replied.

One of the girls asked if I would buy them drinks. Before I even had a chance to say "no," they brought out some expensive wine and bourbon, and the girls were downing it like there was no tomorrow. They asked me again, and I more forcefully declined this time.

At some point, another Ethiopia guy come in with another foreigner in tow. Looks like I'm not the only gullible one. Once they realized I wasn't interested in their services, they brought out a bill to me. What kind of "house party" charges their guests? None that I've ever been to. I don't think were in Kansas anymore, Toto. I had to fumble for my eyes after they popped out of my head when I saw the total. Over 2600 birr, which amounts to about $245! And that just for drinks? How much would their other services cost? I quickly told them I could not pay that much, and refused to pay. They went to get
their "manager." Ok. Now I was getting scared.

He took me out to the front of the house to discuss payment. I explained "I only have about 200 birr," which is about $20, and even showed it to him. He suggested that my friend pay half. I repeated, "I can't pay even that."

He pointed to my passport wallet underneath my shit saying, "but you have money in there!"

To which I lied, "no, I do not. This is all I have," holding out the 200 birr again. He called one of the girls out to explain that I had agreed to buy them drinks, which accusation I flatly denied. Clearly, this was going nowhere but down at an increasing speed. I began to fear more and more for my safety. Thoughts of them tackling me, tying me up, beating me within an inch of my life raced through my head.

I decided to make a run for it. If they intended to harm me, I wanted the upper hand in attempting to flee first. I felt bad for that other foreigner, but I was not about to go back to warn him this was about personal survival at this point. I walked out of the gate, and my right flip-flop fell off. Just what I needed! I had given my shoes away earlier that week, and needless to say, flip-flops don't make good get away shoes! They were trying to pursue me, so I went back for the
wayward flip-flop. I put it on, and continued walking. My "friend" tried to get me to come back, and I shoved him away and continued walking. I didn't look back, and he didn't pursue me more.

I was still scared to death, but I pushed forward, found a taxi to take me to my hotel, and reported this scam to the hotel concierge. As soon as I told her, her head fell. This was obviously not the first time she'd heard this story. I told her I was scared, and she reasured me that I would be safe.

What's funny about all of this? I read about just such scams in the travel book I read before coming to Ethiopia. Why didn't I pick up on it? My desire to do something interesting obscured my perspective. I shouldn't have even gotten into a cab with someone I just met. Sometimes the only way to learn is through personal experience, no matter how much textual theory you may take in beforehand.

I just feel incredibly grateful that I made it through this experience without damage to either my pocketbook, or more importantly, my life.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, that IS scary! Glad you made it back safely. I would have had to take a valium after that experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Zach. That's definitely the kind of thing you read about in emails and books warning you about the dangers of other countries. Scary.

    However, I do understand what you mean about how sometimes it's not as easy to take the text portion of a warning and put it into practice. I think about that a lot here in DC. People always say don't talk to certain kinds of people (since they are considered dangerous), but how exactly does one IGNORE someone who gets up in your face and says something to you, or yells at you from a few feet away? Somethings/some responses are just human instinct. I think it was probably the same in your situation. I think humans (especially Americans), are inclined to be friendly which gets us in trouble. Man, how sad is that?

    Anyway, I'm glad you decided to walk away and you're safe.

    Also, I was very touched by your previous post. I'm so glad that that man was able to finally come to the states after all these years. What a great experience for you to see personally.

    ReplyDelete